Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Food" for thought

You know how I said before that God tends to teach me things through my children? Well, I have had this on my mind and figured I would share. In the book of Hebrews, Paul speaks about how the church is still in the "infant stage" ..."In fact, by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature..." Hebrews 5:12-14.

Well, of course Jonathan is beginning to eat baby food, so I get to see this scripture vividly every day. It is very exciting to see a baby go from just milk to eating some simple foods. There is a lot of joy that comes from watching him experience new flavors and textures. We all start off this way, but can you imagine never getting beyond baby food. Think about some of your favorite foods. I love pizza. The taste of the crust with a little tomato sauce, some ooey, gooey, stringy cheese, the strong flavor of pepperoni wrapped up in all that wonderful cheese (I really like cheese!). Or how about an Outback filet with all its juices seered in just right. Now, imagine that instead of eating all of those wonderful flavors and textures, you are going to have pureed peas (with no salt) and a little bit of rice cereal, unsweetened, bland and not much texture. Sounds great to Jonathan, but I think I'll pass.

I cannot help but draw a correlation from this to our relationship with Christ. If we do not stay in the Word and continue to grow, imagine what we must be missing. A life with Christ is not meant to be bland and boring, there is so much there for us to experience, but we will miss it if we don't seek it out!

1 comment:

God's girl said...

Girl that is a wonderful post! Love the image. SO true. I love what God teaches us through our children.
Much love,
Angela